Fasting “During Feasting” Pastor Eric Kauffman
So far, The Church has survived:
- ________________ (warnings, jail, beheading…)
- ________________ (Ananias & Sapphira)
- ________________ (greatest persecutor became greatest speaker)
- ________________ (Gentile Centurion – Cornelius)
- ________________ (Council @ Jerusalem – circumcision?)
- Misunderstanding their lead & then He disappeared!
13 1 Now in the church at Antioch there were prophets and teachers: Barnabas, Simeon called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene, Manaen (who had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch) and Saul. 2 While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.” 3 So after they had fasted and prayed, they placed their hands on them and sent them off.
These 3 verses kind of launch the rest of Acts (& Paul’s letters) WHY?!
HOW TO GROW THE CHURCH:
- Serve where _____________ & who you are __________.
- Serve & __________.
- ___________ & ______________.
- Is / Is Not required for salvation.
- Is / Is Not commanded.
- Is / Is Not assumed.
Okay – What is it?
“Abstaining from _____________ desires for _______________ purposes.”
The focus is on: (pick one)
- Pleasing God
- Getting God to do something
- Knowing God
- Physical Health
Learning & Experiencing that we are not sustained by _________ alone, but by _______________ (Mt. 4:4).
Okay – How?
- Every time you feel ‘hungry’ – “___________________________________________________________”
3rd Way to Grow the Church: